The Holy Bible (KJV) and the Lutheran Confessions are the doctrinal foundation in Conservative Laestadianism. Centermost is the sermon of Jesus' suffering, death, and resurrection. The work of Christ continues in this world as the work of the Holy Spirit in His congregation.
In Conservative Laestadianism it is taught that the Holy Spirit performs the work of salvation through the gospel. God sanctifies a sinner within His congregation. The congregation and its members have been entrusted with the word of reconciliation. The proclamation of the gospel is the office of the Holy Spirit. His followers use this authority. While preaching this gospel to all people, they also proclaim the remission of sins, which is the essence of the gospel. Therein the forgiveness of sins in Jesus’ name and blood is proclaimed to the sinner. Faith comes by hearing and through hearing the word of Christ.
In the content of our teaching, the principles of the Reformation are regarded to be the most important. According to these principles, the Holy Bible is the highest authority in questions regarding faith and life and man is made righteous alone by faith, alone by grace, alone by the merits of Christ.
Faith is a gift of God. God has given the gift of faith to everyone born into this world.
Baptism is the covenant of a good conscience with God. In baptism God strengthens the child's faith and lifts him into the care of the congregation. An individual who has fallen from the grace of baptism can receive the gift of faith anew through repentance.
Repentance is a change of heart. According to Luther, it includes penitence and distress on account of sin, but at the same time believing the gospel or the absolution of sin. The essence of the gospel is the forgiveness of sins.
Communion is a memorial meal established by Jesus. It is intended for believers for the strengthening of their faith.
The kingdom of God is to be found on earth according to the teachings of Jesus. It is a kingdom of grace on earth and a kingdom of glory in heaven. The kingdom of God is one-minded in faith, doctrine, and love.
The mission of the Minneapolis Laestadian Lutheran Church is:
To preach the gospel of repentance and remission of sins to the people of our community so that they might become partakers with us of the grace that God offers sin-fallen man in His Son Jesus Christ.
To nurture and strengthen the faith of the believing and root our children in Christian faith in God's kingdom.
To awaken and inspire Christian values and ethics, soberness of mind, love of homeland and responsible citizenship among the people of our nation.
In order to accomplish this mission, the Minneapolis Laestadian Lutheran Church arranges and holds services in our church, in homes, in our community and broadcasts sermons via the Internet. We teach and support the teaching of God's Word among children and youth. We also work with our sister congregations and support and work with our central organization the Laestadian Lutheran Church.
Visit the Laestadian Lutheran Church website for further information on our central organization and how to receive additional scriptural teachings on our faith.
On July 29, 1895, at a house located at 435 Main Street, in northeast Minneapolis, a small group of Christians gathered to establish the Finnish Apostolic Lutheran Congregation of Minneapolis – now called the Minneapolis Laestadian Lutheran Church. This congregation is believed to be the oldest Finnish congregation in Minneapolis. This group was known as Laestadians after the first worker of this time of visitation, Lars Levi Laestadius.
During the early years of the Laestadian activity in Minneapolis, services and congregational meetings were held in homes and rented buildings. In 1902, a small church was built in Minneapolis at 237 Humboldt Avenue North which served as the congregation's home for nearly sixty years. Due to growth of the congregation membership, efforts began in 1956 toward building a new church, and in 1960 a church was completed at 1922 Fourth Avenue North in Minneapolis. The congregation utilized this facility until 1979 when, again due to increase in membership and relocation of congregation members to the western suburbs of Minneapolis, the congregation moved to 13030 - 47th Avenue North in Plymouth, Minnesota.
On three separate occasions the congregation experienced spiritual tempests that have, through false doctrine, resulted in significant numbers separating into heresy. However, the Lord's congregation in Minneapolis has traveled victoriously regardless of obstacles. With humble and thankful hearts we can see that the Lord has a growing, blossoming and fruitful garden here. Living testimony of this is the large group of young people that gathers time after time with the older travelers to hear God's Word.
The congregation, a member of the central organization Laestadian Lutheran Church (LLC), has experienced growth in activities such as Sunday School, Day Circle, Bible Class, Home Services, Confirmation School and many camps for children, young people and adults. God has richly blessed all of this work for the salvation of the undying souls of men. For this may the honor and glory go to Him.